What’s new Buenos Aires? I’m new, I wanna say I’m just a little stuck on you. ~ Andrew Lloyd Weber and Tim Rice
It had been ten years since we had visited the city and our return reminded us why we fell in love with this city once before.
It’s easy to get “stuck on” this gorgeous city. It may be the second largest metropolitan area in South America, but it’s definitely number one in style. Wherever you look there is beauty. B.A.’s architecture, it’s monuments, it’s people, it’s parks and even it’s shrines to her fallen are gorgeous. Each of the districts of the city have there own unique flavor and charm. In each you’ll find treasures, weather it be food or fabulous shopping finds (and there are a plethora of both for everyone’s tastes). Then there is the food and wine… how much can one person eat and drink in a day? The answer is – a lot! Fine dining is abound, but, even the whole in the wall empanada place has amazing wine to accompany it’s beautifully wrapped meaty treats. Currently, the major bonus is the value. As visitors to Argentina, the dollar goes a long way. You’re bags will be full of goodies to bring home, your bellies full of food and your pockets will be surprisingly happy too.
Unfortunately, today Argentina’s economy is broken. It’s seems to be a eight to ten year pattern there. There are some noticeable signs around town. There is a bit more graffiti on the walls of certain neighborhoods, though some of the graffiti is actually art and pretty fantastic. The difficult times have also brought a rise in petty crime. Everybody seems to be talking about it in Argentina and abroad. However, we felt safe and comfortable getting around by car and on foot. We were cautious, but never worried. The key in safety anywhere in the world is knowing yourself and your surroundings and most importantly not looking like a target.
Buenos Aires is one of those cities where you get home and tell all your friends “I’m moving there!” Go see it for yourself and discover why. If you’ve already been, maybe it’s time for your return. You’re different and so is the city.
Here is how we spent our four full days in B.A. Enjoy the travel video: Buenos Aires.
Stay: Enjoy special EFYW perks when booking any of the 5* hotels below.
- Palacio Duhau: http://buenosaires.park.hyatt.com/en/hotel/home.html
- Four Seasons Buenos Aires: http://www.fourseasons.com/buenosaires/
- Faena Hotel Buenos Aires: http://faena.com/faena-hotel-buenos-aires
- And more… including lovely boutique hotels.
Do: Visit the neighborhoods…
- Recoleta: Chick and boutique. World class luxury and du jour to do’s everywhere. The architecture is particularly grand here. Don’t miss the cemetery or museums!
- Palermo: It’s like Melrose, but better! Colorful and trendy. Hipsters and hippies unite.
- San Telmo: Antiques galore. Cobblestone streets, cafes and finds everywhere you look.
- Puerto Madero: Last time we were in B.A. there was no reason to come to this neighborhood. Things have changed. The young, wealthy and in vogue have taken over and they’ve declared it the place to be. Design, fashion and cocktails are here. Cheers!
Eat & Drink:
- Puerto Cerrados – A variety of closed door restaurants in private homes.
- Arumburu BIS
- La Parolaccia – Casa Tua Palermo
- Floreria Atlantico
- El Sanjuanino
- La Brigada
- If you’re good, well tell you.
Let’s start planning your visit to Buenos Aires and beyond! www.edenforyourworld.com